Thursday, November 17, 2016

Independent Project Reflection



     We recently finished Independent Projects in GOAL. Our Independent Projects are projects we create once every school year and we get to pick the topic that we want. My project was about Harambe, I wanted to research Harambe because it's still one of the big trending things on the internet and it interests me. If you haven't heard of Harambe, he was a gorilla that was shot when a kid fell into his enclosure at a zoo. I presented in Google Slides format, and the online part only contains pictures and different titles of the sections. My notes are on a real piece of paper, since Mrs. Edlin, our teacher really doesn't want us to look at the screen 24/7 when presenting.
     One thing I enjoyed about this project, and this usually goes for all my Independent Projects, is that I got to research something I wanted to. Opposed to other classes where they assign you a project to work on, GOAL is a lot more fun in my opinion because you're more enthusiastic about your topic, since you got to pick it. It was fun researching Harambe because he interested me, and since I use the internet a lot, the only things I really knew about him were the memes.
     The hardest part of this project was presenting. I really feel like I'm not good at presenting, I have a lot of "uhh" and "one second" moments because I may have forgot something or skipped over something in the notes. It definitely is harder for me to present with notes instead of them being on screen, and I'm not too sure why. I also have trouble with eye contact, so I usually just look directly over people or to the side of them.
     I improved as a learner from this project because it was something I'm enthusiastic about, therefore I think I made a better project opposed to when you're assigned a project. I also improved as a learner by knowing more about how to take notes and organize them.
     If I could do the entire thing over again, I would try and do a better job at presenting. I had good notes (60+), and I had good pictures, but my presenting skills definitely need to improve. As I said before, I say "uhh" a lot, which is a major no-no.
     I don't really see a good way to improve this assignment for future students, I think it's great that you get to choose your own topic as I said previously.


8 comments:

  1. I agree, presenting is difficult. I also forgot some parts and had to stop for a moment and look back at my notes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I would have to agree with nearly everything you said in your post, I feel like my script could have been well thought out as well. It's hard to really get going, but once you do it gets easier with the pauses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm really happy that you chose to do a project on Harambe. Even though he is very memetacular, Harambe is a very big subject right now. The fact that they had to kill him is surrounded by lots of controversy. I liked your memes. Good job, mate! ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes when I present I leave things out because I went too fast or I wasn't reading correctly. I think your project was still good even though you did that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree with getting to pick your own topic. Regular assigned projects are boring. It is way more fun when you get to pick your own topic.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am happy that you actually did this. It really touched my heart. Even though I'm not in your class, I felt when you presented. <3

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think it was a great idea how you did something that everyone loves and you must've put some great work into this project. I know how much you love Harambe and all of the memes. I think it's a good idea how you did something you really love and enjoy.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I do agree with you about presenting. I definitely think that it hard to have what you on your paper and then share it to the world it takes a lot of skill. I also like how you encountered memes because that is a big part of our online culture.

    ReplyDelete